Sunday, April 29, 2012

Day 26-28

Busy, busy, busy.

We have a friend in town, and she's down for whatever, culinarily speaking (or too nice to tell us she's not), so she's been letting me feed her tacos! 

But the night before she got here, we had these Turkey Tacos (I finally figured out what I meant by "Turkey" earlier in the month!)





It's a Rachel Ray recipe (I think?) for turkey taco salad that I changed a little.  It was really tasty (like, one of those recipes that you eat one time, and then forever have a copy of but never make again. But then, like a hundred years later, when you do make it again, you wonder why the hell you haven't had it in your rotation!)

Anyways, I'm not going to post the recipe right now, because I don't feel like it to leave room for a couple of other recipes, but it'll post it at some point, because it certainly is tasty as hell.


Day 27 was BBQ Chicken Tacos with Jicama/Carrot/Radish Slaw and Joshed-Up Mashed Cauliflower on the side.

Am I finally getting the hang of extreme-close-
up photography of food with a phone?

This was pretty simple to put together, and I finally got to try putting diced pickle on my tacos, which I've been thinking about since we ate at Pepitos. It was worth it. I put diced pickle on tacos now. It's my new thing.

It's zingy.

It goes like this:

  1. Poach and shred chicken breast (or OMG, rotisserie chicken would have been amazeballs)
  2. Dice pickles
  3. Shred cheese
  4. Shred lettuce (or spinach)
  5. Make tortillas
  6. Crack open a bottle of your favorite BBQ sauce
  7. BOOM
The slaw was basically julienned jicama, carrots, and radish mixed with lime juice, lemon zest, salt, and cilantro. It was fine, nothing outstanding.

Mashed cauliflower tastes almost the same as mashed potatoes, but I'm pretty sure it's better for you (although I added 4 chopped slices of bacon and some cheese to mine, so it may be better for you, but probably wasn't especially healthy).  I Joshed up this recipe with thyme and bacon, and removed the cream cheese (mistake).

Day 28

ZOMG this was one of my best-ever ideas to date.

Maybe even better than that time I said, "hey, I'mma have a beer now." (20 minutes ago)

So, we've done a few dessert tacos this month. Mostly they've had fruit in them and the shell has been a doctored version of a traditional shell. This one is a little different. The only fruit was a few slices of banana (just enough to add banana-split flavor and to be able to call it a health food), and the shell is like a traditional hard shell... other than that it's made out of cookie dough.



As good as it looks.

So I took a package of gluten free chocolate chunk cookie dough (it comes separated into 12 dough balls), smashed together 2 dough balls for each shell, flattened them out, baked as directed, and then right when they came out of the oven I draped them over something triangular (in this case fashioned out of tin foil) to harden. When they were cool they kept their shape but never hardened completely (bless them). 

In them I put sliced banana, small scoops of vanilla ice cream, and then drizzles of caramel and chocolate sauces on top. Since the cookies stayed a little soft (bless them) they didn't break quite as easily as a regular hard shell, and so they were a little easier to eat.

You guys? Go get some cookie dough.  Bake it, shape it, fill it with terrible/delicious things and eat the everloving hell out of it. You're welcome.

We're very near the end of 30 Days Of Tacos. Have you all enjoyed eating with your hands every day this month? I know I have!


1 comment:

  1. Healthyness of the cocoa bean, calcium and the potassium in a fresh fruit.
    It has been almost as much fun to see and hear about your meals as it would be to eat them. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete